The Scottville City Commission consists of seven members elected by the voters of the City; three Commissioners at Large, two 1st Ward Commissioners and two 2nd Ward Commissioners. The Mayor and Mayor Pro-Tem are nominated by the Commissioners. The Mayor is the presiding officer of the council and in his absence the Mayor Pro-Tem shall be the presiding officer. Each Commissioner has one vote that can be cast on each motion. Four members of the Commission constitute a quorum and may conduct business and act on issues like a full Commission would. All regular and special meetings are open to the public. Only under rare instances, when prescribed by law, can a Commission meet in closed session.
The role of the Commission includes the following:
1. Represent the City locally, statewide and on a federal level.
2. Approve contracts and agreements.
3. Decide the amount of City taxes to be levied.
4. Determine how much money shall be spent and for what purposes.
5. Determine City policies and standards.
6. Adopt and/or amend City ordinances (laws).
The City Commission meets the 1st & 3rd Monday’s of every month at 5:30pm at City Hall.
Mayor Richard Maki
Mayor Pro-Tem David Johnson