Welcome to Scottville, MI!
Scottville’s recorded history began in 1874 when the town was mapped as a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad. It was first called Mason Center because of its location in the county. Later, it was renamed Sweetland, after James Sweetland, who built a sawmill here in 1878. Sweetland sold the mill a year later to Hiram Scott. Scott officially platted the land in 1882 and named it after himself. It was incorporated as a village in 1889 and as a city in 1907.